We’ve had many requests for information about our workshops and retreats, which is very exciting! Along with writing and making prayer beads, my passion lies in teaching and leading retreats.
Certainly, my specialty is in offering prayer bead workshops. They provide an opportunity for me to talk about the history and use of prayer beads, as well as ways to use them in prayer. Participants then get a chance to make their own set of prayer beads to take with them (so fun!). I offer two versions of the workshop: the two-hour session provides enough time to cover the basics and still have time to make prayer beads. The second option is a five-hour session that makes a nice day retreat. It includes time for opening and closing worship, lunch and breaks, prayer-bead-making, and more in-depth information on the history, symbolism, and ways of using prayer beads. It also includes a fun surprise!
I also have a DEEP love for leading retreats. I relish the opportunity to create a theme (often in partnership with the host group), design the various elements of our time together, and prepare the materials. Examples of some retreat themes include:
- Listening to God
- Be Still: Knowing and Loving God in the Midst of Everyday Life
- Living Prayer: Discovering New Ways to Connect with God
- Grace and peace: Seeing God’s Gifts in Our Daily Lives
- Imago Dei: Living Into the Image of God Within Us
- Creativity and the Creator God
- The Great Commandment: Living Out God’s Intention for Us
Whether it’s a one-day, two-day, or weekend event, retreats offer an incredible opportunity to experience the richness of God’s love both individually and communally. Note: retreats CAN include a prayer bead workshop if there is interest. As one prayer tool and way of listening to God, prayer beads can be easily incorporated into a number of retreat themes.
Booking An Event
I’m sharing this in case your church or group may be interested in inviting me to lead a workshop or retreat. I would love to talk with you! At this point, I am booked for the fall and already have several events booked for early 2015, so it would be good to talk soon, even if you are planning something for late 2015.
Something else to keep in mind: the new year will begin with publication of the follow-up to my best-selling A Bead and a Prayer: A Beginner’s Guide to Protestant Prayer Beads. Due to be published January 2015, the new book – Another Bead, Another Prayer: Devotions to Use with Protestant Prayer Beads – is coauthored with my husband, Max. With the new book we are planning an “advanced” prayer bead workshop for those of you who want to go deeper in your understanding of how to use beads in prayer. If you are interested in this option, let us know.
If you are interested in discussing possible workshop or retreat options, feel free to email me at email@example.com and we’ll take it from there. You may also want to check out our endorsements to see what folks have said about my work. If you need references, I’ve got those, too!
Also, below is my schedule for the next six or seven months. If you are interested in joining us for one of these events please contact me or the host organization.
Grace and peace,
- 9/5: Shepherd Center Craft Market, Atlanta, GA (prayer bead and book sales)
- 9/10: Marietta First United Methodist Church, Marietta, GA (prayer bead workshop)
- 9/11: Mountain Park United Methodist Church, Stone Mountain, GA (prayer bead workshop)
- 9/13: Children’s Ministry Training, Hillside United Methodist Church, Woodstock, GA (prayer bead workshop)
- 9/27: Dunwoody United Methodist Women’s Retreat, Helen, GA (prayer bead workshop)
- 10/25 – 26: CHIAHA Harvest Fair, Rome, GA (prayer bead and book sales)
- 11/1: Rome First United Methodist Church, Rome, GA (prayer bead workshop)
- 11/8: Entertaining Angels Place of Prayer, Lyons, GA (prayer bead workshop)
- 11/15: St. James United Methodist Church, Sumter, SC (prayer bead workshop)
- 11/22 – 23: Sprayberry High School Arts & Crafts Show, Marietta, GA (prayer bead and book sales)
- 1/11: Roswell United Methodist Church, Roswell, GA (family prayer bead workshop)
- 2/27 – 3/1: North Georgia United Methodist Annual Conference Confirmation Retreat, Dahlonega, GA (prayer bead workshops)
- 3/22 – Marietta United Methodist Women’s District Day Apart, Marietta, GA (prayer bead workshop)
Disclaimer: I am a Methodist girl living in Georgia, which means a whole lot of my events are with Methodists in Georgia. That doesn’t mean I can’t work with Baptists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Catholics, etc. or cross state lines! In fact, so far, I’ve been to Louisiana, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia! Have prayer beads, will travel!